Monday, August 07, 2006

Hike to Health - About me

I chose this name for my blog because hiking is one of my favorite activities to do in any kind of weather. I have struggled to improve my health over the years and hiking really helps. I've had type 2 diabetes since about 1996. I choose to manage it by following a low carb diet and exercise. I've been about 90 pounds overweight for about 25 years. I had some pain in my knees several years ago. But thanks to a low carb diet, weight training to build up my leg muscles and taking glucosamine and chondroitin, I have very little pain. I don't jog, but hiking up hills really gets my heart rate up with less strain in my knee joints. Going downhill doesn't bother me I think because of the muscles I've developed. Thank goodness I met a personal trainer about five and a half years ago who has become a great friend. I see her twice a week for a good workout. I have only cancelled out about twice in that time.

I have a hiking buddy. We have a standing date every Friday to do a two-hour hike. We live close to many hiking trails here in the Cascade Mountain range in Washington State.

No comments: