Thursday, August 10, 2006

Calculating Protien Amounts

I strictly followed low carb at 20-30grams daily for a few months earlier this year. I lost 10 pounds and then stayed the same for 5 weeks. When I plugged in some menus into FitDay, I realized I was eating too much protein and over 2200 calories. I sometimes ate almost a pound of steak! So this time, I am going to more carefully measure my serving of protein.

According to Protein Power Lifeplan based on my weight, height, my minimum protein should be 40 grams of protein at each meal. Their chart translates this to about 6 oz of meat, fish or poultry or 6 eggs. I usually eat 3 eggs for breakfast. I'm going to try to eat no more than 6 oz for lunch and dinner.

Last night, I had bought a little over 3 pounds of ground beef. Using a calculator, I divided 6 oz into the exact weight and came up with 9 servings. So I seasoned the ground beef with garlic powder, seasoning salt and some dill. I made 9 balls evenly sized and flattened them out. I baked them at 375 for about 30 minutes total, flipping once. I froze the rest.

After I ate the one burger patty with salad, I really wanted to have a half of another one. But I washed dishes and got busy with other things. After an hour or so, I realized I no longer wanted more!

My carbs have been a little under 30 and my calories have been 1600 to 1800.
My morning fasting blood sugar was down to 119 this morning.

No comments: